Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Model American




So I've been obsessing over Katy Grannan's Model American book over the past few days. I can't seem to put it down, though I've had it sitting on my bookshelf for years. I've been looking alot at her work from the early 2000's in particular. There is something really beautiful about the way her subjects carry themselves, how fragile the seem while they're trying to pose for the camera. I usually hate the way strobes look in photographs, but the way Grannan uses them in these photographs makes so much sense... it's as if she's consciously catching a deer in headlights or placing her subjects in a situation where they can't help but be caught off guard. In any event, I really, really enjoy this quote they have at the end of the book:

"I guess portraits are a way of honoring people that I hardly know but already miss." - Katy Grannan.

Anyone who is friends with me on facebook has already read this most likely, but I still love it, so whatever.

No comments: