Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Half Awake and Half Asleep




I tried to go see the Asako Narahashi show that opened on Thursday at when I was out around Chelsea, but the gallery was closed weekends during their summer hours. I've been a fan of Asako's work since I first ran into the book "Half Awake and Half Asleep in the Water" at Dashwood Books a few months back. Theres something so unnerving about the work, as if something is rising from the depths. Sort of reminiscent of Godzilla movies, how something menacing is rising out of the water, from the unknown. I wonder if it's possible to remove the sense of terrorist fears, the feeling of being a sitting duck, and the calm before the storm from this work. Is it possible to make photographs that are purely formal, or is every image ultimately a product of context?

No comments: